Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Loving Heart

Wow! Once again it's been over a year since I've been here! Lots of work to do to update and clean up my blog site. Just wanted to share (with someone!!) the beautiful thing my daughter did today and how proud I am of her for her loving heart. Aidan, my "baby girl" who's now a big SEVEN year old, tapped me on the shoulder when we had lain down to go to sleep (yes...it's true...I DO still lay down with my 7 yr. old babies...AND?) and so I said, probably a little irritatedly since we had stayed up too late already, "Yes, Aidan?". She said, "Mommy, today we got another new student in our class." Wow...now 24 seven-year olds in the twins 1st grade class...so I said, "Wow." She said, "She has blonde hair and I know her name but I really can't pronounce it." I asked her, "And?" So Aidan proceeded to tell me, "I asked her, when we went to the library, if she would be my friend and she nodded her head YES." At this point we talked about how that was a really nice thing to do and how this new little girl, whom Aidan said didn't talk all day...only nodded, was probably really nervous about being in a new school. I told Aidan that I was proud of her for being nice and for trying to make this little new girl feel included. I asked her if the other kids were nice to the new girl and she said, "Not really...". As a school counselor, that makes MY heart hurt, and so I said to Aidan, "I am so proud of you for being sweet to this new girl and for making her feel welcome. That is so important to help this little girl adjust." I then told her that I really thought she had done a grown up thing and Aidan got really quiet. I said, "What's wrong, Sister?" She said, "I just don't know what to say to that." Neither do I Sweet One...you're growing up so fast and I just hope this act of kindness is just one of so many still to come.

1 comment:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

What a precious girl! I'm so glad you blogged again! I miss you!